Sierra Peak Descents
The Eastern Sierra is well-known for its easy access to hundreds of ski summits. Nothing beats ripping turns off an alpine summit and then sniffing the desert sage of the valley bottom. For skiers who want to rise above the crowds and ski from a mountaintop!
This program requires a minimum of 2 to run on these scheduled dates at this promotional price, and will have a maximum guiding ratio of 4:1. We are happy to arrange this program on a custom, private basis. Click HERE for details.
The Eastern Sierra is world famous for its easy access to ski summits of all sizes. Nothing beats the satisfaction of climbing a mountain, ripping turns off of an alpine summit and then sniffing the desert sage of the valley bottom.
On our Peak Descents program, your guide will choose 2 amazing Eastern Sierra peaks in the greater Mammoth Lakes area for quality of skiing, mountain hazard considerations, overall mountain aesthetics, peak “summit skiability,” and group profile. Each peak on this program will be done from the valley as a day tour. You will arrange your own level of lodging in or around Mammoth, and we are happy to help you with that logistic. This gives the program maximum flexibility and allows a nice evening of rest in Mammoth Lakes between peak descents. We plan to climb and descend 3000-5000 vertical feet each day with possible skiing up to 45 degrees in steepness, so this scheduled program is not for the uninitiated and demands intermediate to advanced backcountry skiing skills and experience.
- Advanced-expert downhill skiing skills
- Ability to control speed and execute fall-line turns in control and comfort in difficult snow conditions (deep powder, heavy and/or moist snow, breakable crust, firm or icy, etc.)
- Ability to execute hop turns on 40 degree+, firm slopes, coming to a complete and immediate stop at the finish of each turn
- Ability to sideslip forward and backward, with edge control, on steep, firm slopes
- Experience ski touring in the backcountry using ski touring equipment (boots, bindings, skins, transceiver, shovel, probe, etc.
- Ability to make uphill facing kick-turns in an uphill track on a slope
- Very good fitness
Trip Cost Inclusions:
- AMGA Trained/Certified Ski Guide
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment Rental (Transceiver, Shovel, & Probe) as needed
Trip Cost Exclusions:
- Personal ski touring and mountain gear (we have some items for rent)
- Lodging & transportation
Check out this trip slideshow from a local Eastern Sierra Peak Descent:
- Reviews (0)